BLANKET TAMPA BAY
We Serve the Homeless thru Christ's Love
The Urban Rest Stop
Blanket Tampa Bay is hard at work raising money to start an Urban Rest Stop in Tampa FL.. On march 15th, we took our first leap with help from the NY Yankees who donated to us during their HOPE Week. We need your donations to make the “Tampa Urban Rest Stop” a reality, each donation makes a difference. Make yours count and help us spread the word.
A Rest Stop is a stand alone building where the homeless can go and take a shower, wash their clothes and store some items for a short period of time at no change and in a safe environment. The Urban Rest Stop idea started in Seattle WA., after a study concluded that there were not enough public restrooms in the city and none that met the need of the homeless population for a place to wash, something that many of us take for granted each day.
Tampa’s Urban Rest Stop would be modeled after the Seattle Urban Rest Stop. Below, it is described from their website.
“By providing access to essential hygiene services, the Urban Rest Stop improves the self sufficiency of homeless individuals and their families.
The Urban Rest Stop is designed to serve a wide range of people: men, women and families with children: youth, senior citizens, and people living on the streets or in shelters. The Urban Rest Stop specifically targets those who are especially disadvantaged, including disabled persons, veterans, non English speaking people, immigrants, and people of color. The facility is handicapped accessible”.
This project is very close to my heart and I have been working on it for the last 3 years. You never know the stories behind those less fortunate and it could easily be you or I. Please help us make this happen.
The Daily Essentials
We work hard to provide our cities homeless with the basic essentials that anyone would need in life especially life on the Florida streets. These essentials include socks, razors, deodorant, mosquito bands, feminine hygiene products, foot powder and sunscreen wipes, soap, shampoo and conditioner.
We have been fortunate to partner with a generous company out of Orlando called “Clean the World”. They have agreed to provide soap and shampoo to us for our friends on the street.
Blankets… Where It All Began!
Blankets are not just for warmth, but comfort as a pillow, barrier between a body and the ant filled patch of grass and shelter from the hot sun. While we don’t think twice about using a towel, blanket or pillow this is a big need for our city’s homeless population. Your donations of goods or money will help us keep promise to provide for the people that we can.
We are currently seeking donations for…
- Gently Used or New Blankets
- Gently Used or New Towels
The rainy season in Florida is upon us. While we take shelter for granted this is a big need for our cities homeless population. Your donations of goods or money will help us keep promise to provide for the people that we can.
We are currently seeking donations for…
- Clean Socks of all Sizes for Men, Women and Children
Why wearing clean socks is important
- Many bacteria and fungi thrive in warm, moist environments. Access to clean, dry socks can go a long way in avoiding foot infections.
- Poor circulation puts feet at risk every day. Proper socks can provide a simple, but important layer of protection between these feet and limb threatening conditions.
- Clean, well-fitting socks are a vital part of keeping feet healthy! The impact is immediate and ongoing!
- Wearing the right socks for the right activity can go a long way towards foot health. Those struggling with homelessness don’t have that option. But new socks help!
- Clean and well-fitting socks are just as important as medication or insulin for those that deal with diabetes. Help save limbs by donating new socks.
- 1 million Americans had Type 2 Diabetes in 2012. (American Diabetes Assoc.) Part of proper Diabetic foot care is access to appropriate sock wear.
- Socks can provide simple, but effective cushioning for painful foot deformities such as bunions and hammertoes. This can make all the difference to someone who needs them!
- Barefoot walking exposes feet to injury, infection and pain. Limbs can be saved with just a simple, “healthy” pair of socks!
- Moisturizers for dry skin often penetrate better when socks are worn. Yet another reason why clean, well-fitting socks are so important for foot health!
- Painful corns and callouses form from pressure and friction on the feet. Cushioned, clean socks are a great first step in preventing or slowing their formation.
- Sepsis (or blood infection) can start from a simple blister on the foot. Healthy socks keep more than just feet healthy, they can save lives!
- Athlete’s foot needs warm, moist areas to grow in. Dry socks provide a less hospitable environment for this uncomfortable condition.
- Toenail fungus can lead to thickening, deformation and pain in the toenails. Socks help prevent the conditions that best allows fungus to grow.
- Verruca plantaris (or Plantar Wart) is caused by a virus that enters the skin through sometimes microscopic cracks. Clean, dry socks can help block this virus from ever entering the foot!
Who knew how important those new socks, that most of us take for granted, can be?